How to obtain a Marriage License
The State of Maine requires Maine residents to obtain a marriage license in the town/city where they reside. If the bride and groom reside in two different communities, they only have to apply in one of the communities. if the person either the bride or the groom is a Maine resident, they must apply in the town/city where the Maine resident lives. If the bride and groom are both out-of-state residents, they can apply in any town/city in the State of Maine and get married in any town/city within Maine.
- A $40.00 license fee is required.
- Maine does not require blood tests.
- In the case of a second marriage, a certified./attested copy of death certificate, of divorce decree is required. (certified/attested copy has a raised seal and/or original signature – no photocopies accepted)
- Maine no longer has a waiting period for marriage licenses. The licenses is valid 90 days from the date the intentions are filed.
- Certified copies can be purchased after your officiant has filed the license with the clerk’s office. $15.00 for one copy and $6.00 for additional certified copies.