Requesting Records and Information
Vital records include birth, death, and marriage certificates. Maine law requires that a person requesting a copy of a record less then 100 years old must provide documentation establishing their direct and legitimate interest in the records.
Such people are:
- Descendants of the person named on the record
- Genealogists who have a Maine researcher identification card, issued by the Centers for Disease Control.
- Registrant's legal custodian, guardian, conservator, or respective authorized representative.
- The parents named on the record.
- The person named on the record.
- The person's spouse or registered domestic partner.